Apple Inc said that investigations are underway regarding a reported accident wherein a Chinese woman died after being electrocuted when answering a call on her iPhone 5 while it was charging, this according to a statement made by the US technology company Monday.
According to reports from the official Xinhua news agency, Ma Ailun, a 23-year-old Chinese woman from the western Xinjiang region and a flight attendant with China Southern Airlines, died Thursday, July 11, after she was electrocuted when she took a call on the charging mobile telephone.
“We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter,” Apple said in an e-mail.
Apple declined to give further details about the incident, such as whether this was an isolated case.
On Sina’s microblog, Ma’s sister tweeted that Ma collapsed and died after taking a call on her charging iPhone 5 and urged users to be careful, a message that went viral on the site.
In April, Apple was forced to apologize to Chinese consumers after more than two weeks of condemnation from the state-run media. It was forced to alter iPhone warranty policies in its second-biggest market.